Goblins (ゴブリン) are the primary antagonists of the series, monsters that destroy and steal anything they come across. They all have a predisposition to hate "those with words".
Goblins primarily haunt the frontier lands, where the military doesn't have a strong presence, and usually kidnap livestock and women in order to eat and breed. Their numbers grow fairly quickly and they age quickly as well coming into maturity and growing in terms of threat until they build an entire nest.
Goblins also take on different classes as they mature:
- Hobgoblins: Goblins that have grown larger and put on more muscle. They act as bodyguards for nests or wanderers who travel from one to another.
- Shamans: Goblins that have gained the ability to use magic. They often lead nests and are intelligent enough to make crude strategies.
- Riders: Goblins that have tamed captured wolves to the point they can use them as mounts. Only well-off hordes that can afford the resources to keep the wolves alive have them.
- Champions: Heroes of the Goblin race; those that have become large enough to even be seen as ogres in terms of strength. They often lack in intelligence, but are capable fighters that can give even veteran adventurers trouble. (Considered to be the silver-ranked among the Goblin World).
- Lords: Kings of the Goblin race; these goblins have gained intellect and ambition, allowing them to command hordes to great effectiveness. (Considered to be the platinum-ranked among the Goblin World).
Goblins start out as small, green-skinned humanoids and grow over time. Some of the goblins become bigger than the size of a grown man, while others remain small and about the size of a child. They often dress in loin cloths, though more resourceful ones can gather armor or clothes, and carry crude or stolen weapons to use.
- There are numerous stories about where goblins came from.