|Voice Actor||Yūichirō Umehara (Japanese) |
Brad Hawkins (English)
Haileigh Todd (English) (Young)
|Light Novel||Light Novel Volume 1|
- "Because I am Goblin Slayer."
- - Goblin Slayer's signature slogan.
Goblin Slayer (ゴブリンスレイヤー, Goburin Sureiyā) is the series' titular main character. He is an experienced silver ranked adventurer who only concerns himself with hunting goblins.
Despite being a silver-ranked adventurer, Goblin Slayer's choice of equipment poorly reflects his rank. He is often seen equipped in grubby leather armor with chain mail underneath, paired with his signature cheap-looking helmet (which originally had horns) that envelops his head entirely in protective metal. However, due to the excellent sense of smell goblins possess, Goblin Slayer has a habit of neglecting the cleanliness of his armor as clean equipment would reek of metal, which would immediately alert goblins.
In contrast, Goblin Slayer's seemingly poor appearance is often mocked and ridiculed by most whom fail to see the practicality and effective functionality behind it. Moreover, the grimy appearance combined with his down-grade equipment has, on more than one occasion, caused people to mistake him for an undead.
Goblin Slayer usually carries a cheap and disposable sword of a strange length hanging on his left hip in a makeshift scabbard, allowing him to place swords of any shape he salvages. Affixed to his left arm is a small round shield, its rim well maintained to be used as a weapon.
Contradictory to most adventurer's bets and rumors, Goblin Slayer's appearance beneath his helmet is remarked to be surprisingly handsome and dignified, if somewhat pale.
Goblin Slayer has greyish-white colored hair and scarlet eyes, which are normally covered by his bangs. The skin of his body appears pasty and is covered with numerous scars from previous battles.
Goblin Slayer is stoic and calm in most circumstances and is simply unable to devote himself to anything outside of preparations to deal with Goblins after the traumatizing ordeal he went through as a child. Because of this, he lacks the ability to understand certain social norms and doesn't notice the affections of those around him. His companions work to help him overcome this, but the process is difficult and arduous. Nonetheless, he has been shown prioritizing the safety of companions and civilians over his obsession with goblin killing. This was seen when he protected the farm of his childhood friend Cow Girl and was willing to give up everything he had to gather help in making sure it had enough protection.
His desire to kill goblins stems from two places: to prevent what happened to his village from happening to others and to get revenge by eliminating every single member of their race. To this end, he has a single-minded devotion that has led him to being rigorous in hunting them down, leaving nothing to chance, and pushing those under his tutelage into being just as prepared. He will not hesitate to put himself against odds that will all but ensure his death, being more than willing to face off against a goblin horde of at least 100 in an effort to kill as many as he can before they kill him.
Goblin Slayer also seems interested in learning new ideas from people of all walks of life. He is always looking for new knowledge to absorb, mostly to find more efficient ways of tracking, trapping, and killing goblins.
Goblin Slayer was once an ordinary boy in a village, who wanted to be an adventurer when he grew up. One day, his best friend left to work on a farm for a few days, and the two fought because he couldn't go with her. Later that night, his village was attacked by goblins and everyone he knew was killed. 
He hid in his house's basement until nightfall, while watching what was happening through a crack in the floorboards. At nightfall, he sneaked out of the house seeing all of the corpses, but was attacked by the goblins who hadn't left yet. He was saved from death by a rhea;  who he spent 5 years training with before parting ways.
After parting ways, he made his way to town and walked past his childhood friend, although he did not speak to her. Upon entering the Adventurer's Guild, he met the receptionist and requested to register as an adventurer. As Guild Girl searched for the registration sheets clumsily, he picked up a fallen sheet that seemed to be a goblin slaying quest. Guild Girl confirmed it, and he immediately accepted the quest despite her attempts to dissuade him from going alone.
After filling in the necessary details in the adventure registration sheet, he received his official adventurer tag and began making preparations to embark on his first goblin-slaying quest. Goblin Slayer later visited Smith's shop and ordered a breastplate and a helmet.
Goblin Slayer arrived at a cave that had goblins living in it; He fought his way through numerous goblins, but was poisoned in the process. Upon reaching his hand into his bag to get an antidote, he discovered that the glass vial broke in the fight. Improvising, he rolled the edge of his bag moist with spilled antidote into a ball and sucked on it. Not long after, Goblin Slayer was confronted by a hobgoblin and goblin shaman. He nearly died but was able to regain his footing and kill the two of them, and went into the back of the cave to save the captive woman and kill the goblin children. Goblin Slayer later returned to the town and he reunited with his childhood friend, Cow Girl, who spotted him beforehand and confirmed that he was her old friend. The happy girl convinced him to stay at the farm with her and her uncle.
He met and assisted another party (that included an adventurer who registered the same day he did) during a goblin slaying quest involving only three goblins. Despite his odd demeanor, the party asked him to join them for their next mission, but Goblin Slayer refused due to it not involving any goblins. During the conversation, a goblin who was feigning death attacked, but was quickly disrupted and killed by Goblin Slayer. Dissatisfied with his current knowledge on goblins, he began dissecting the goblin, much to the party's disgust. Shortly after word got out of the incident, Guild Girl advised him not to do such things again, as they could create a misunderstanding.
As he was setting up defenses against goblins for a village, a young girl met and talked with him, curious about what he was up to. That rainy night, Goblin Slayer began slaying the goblins that made their way through his fence. He soon found himself swarmed by the goblins, who began bludgeoning him with their clubs. Fortunately, Goblin Slayer motivated himself to get up and kill the remaining twenty-five goblins. Despite the victory, his injuries resulted in him having to be sent to the Temple of the Earth Mother, where a young acolyte healed him.
Some time after finishing his quest report, he came across the leader of the party he helped earlier and learned that the people had given him the nickname "Goblin Slayer". He then returned to the farm, where Cow Girl invited him to eat stew.
Goblin Slayer appeared to save Priestess from being killed by goblins. He then helped her save Woman Fighter and other women by killing the rest of the goblin nest. From there, the two formed a party and underwent several missions. They were eventually recruited into slaying the goblins working under a Demon Lord that had taken over an abandoned base. It is there they encountered Ogre, who dominated their fight until Goblin Slayer used a Gate Scroll linked to the bottom of the ocean to slice the monster in half before stabbing him in the head repeatedly.
Some time after this, he became aware of the goblin horde approaching the farm and informed Cow Girl to run with her uncle to the town. She refused, knowing he would throw his life away to kill as many as possible, and thus convinced him to ask for help at the guild. With the help of Guild Girl, Spearman, and High Elf Archer, he managed to convince them to assist him with a reward for one gold per goblin head and instructed them on how to prepare ahead of time. During the battle, he eliminated the Goblin's nest, before working with Priestess to kill the Goblin Lord. At the tavern, Goblin Slayer took off his helmet at Priestess' request, which quickly gained the attention of everyone around him.
Later on, Sword Maiden enlisted his help to kill the goblins in the sewers. However, an encounter with the Goblin Champion leading the horde left him critically injured and near-death, resulting in the need for Resurrection Magic done by Sword Maiden and Priestess to help him recover. Once he was fully recovered, he and the others found the source of the Goblins in the form of a Gate Mirror and defeated the Goblin Champion by burying him under tons of rubble, before encasing the Gate Mirror in concrete and tossing it in the river to avoid anyone else using it.
He confronted Sword Maiden and revealed he knew that she was the one who framed the original incident on the Goblins to bring attention to them.  Understanding her reasoning, he promised to help her deal with Goblins if they returned, earning her gratitude.  
The day before the Harvest Festival, went to shop at the blacksmith when he came across Female Knight looking at armor that strongly resembled underwear. After learning that she wanted to get Heavy Warrior's attention, Goblin Slayer stated that asking him for relationship advice was absurd, but suggested she wear civilian garb. Using the supplies he purchased from the blacksmith, he began setting up traps meant for goblins around town. At night, Hero's party confronted him thinking he was an undead, but left upon discovering otherwise.
During the Harvest Festival, Goblin Slayer was asked out by Cow Girl and Guild Girl to go on a date; with Cow Girl in the morning and Guild Girl in the evening. During his date with Cow Girl, Goblin Slayer found and gifted her a ring before showing Rookie Warrior and Scout Boy how to win a carnival game. While he and Cow Girl drank lemonade, Goblin Slayer put the ring on her ring finger at her request.
On his date with Guild Girl, the couple observed hundreds of lanterns float into the sky, as well as Priestess performing a ritual. When they returned to the Guild, Rhea Scout, seeking revenge for his demotion, attempted to kill them both. Deciding the rhea was too quick to beat him in a fair fight, he fooled the rhea into thinking that he had perished after getting hit before slicing open his torso. With that, Goblin Slayer concluded that a goblin attack was imminent.
Goblin Slayer has been trained as a fighter and ranger. His style of combat relies more on pragmatism such as setting traps, using a weapon against its user, and taking whatever advantage that may come.
- Trained Combatant: Goblin Slayer is relatively skilled in most weapons that he can get his hands on, using them effectively enough to kill goblins. He is also perfectly capable of combating other kinds of monsters, as well as other adventurers.
- Master Swordsman: Goblin Slayer is extremely skilled in wielding any bladed weaponry from short swords, daggers to knives. With his short sword, he can slay multiple goblins at once with masterful dexterity.
- Master Marksman: Goblin Slayer is an incredibly proficient archer; he can accurately shoot down Goblins from vast distances. With a thrown javelin, he could fatally injure a goblin shaman with little effort.
- Master Strategist: Goblin Slayer is an excellent strategist, specializing in ambush and guerrilla warfare. He could come up with extraordinary plans to trap large numbers of goblins, eliminating them with efficiency.
- Goblin Knowledge: Goblin Slayer has devoted himself towards all matters related to goblins, ranging from their habits to their mindsets. This makes him the frontier's foremost expert when it comes to dealing with goblins, a specialist without peer in matters relating to them sought out by High Elf Archer and Sword Maiden.
- Alchemy: Goblin Slayer has basic knowledge of alchemy. 
- Physical Conditioning: Goblin Slayer has rigorously trained his body to utmost perfection, granting him top notch physical abilities.
- Strength: Goblin Slayer has a high level of physical strength. He could overpower even large goblins and wield blunt weapons such as clubs and stone axes with enough force to slaughter goblins in a single hit.
- Speed: He could strike down multiple goblins at once with superior speed and reflexes. Can react fast enough to defend against unexpected attacks, including incoming arrows.
- Endurance: He also possesses an incredible amount of endurance and pain tolerance, capable of fighting after having broken multiple bones. Goblin Slayer is well acclaimed to snowy mountains and cold temperatures, as he received his training in such environments.
- Senses: Goblin Slayer is extremely aware of his surroundings, having extensively trained to utilize all his senses including sight and hearing. He could even detect a goblin hiding in pitch black darkness.
- Shield: A targe that is small, round and easy to carry. Can be used as a blunt or cutting weapon.
- Short Sword: A Sword optimized for use in confined spaces. Routinely broken.
- Longbow: A standard longbow used to snipe enemies.
- Light Armor: Leather armor adorned with metal plates, including a metal helmet and chainmail. Allows quick movement while providing minimal protection from light attacks.
- Magic Scroll: Although hard to come by, these are used in desperate situations, such as when he fought Ogre.
- Potions: Used to increase stamina or heal his wounds.
- Torch: Always on hand in case he needs to light or burn something.
- Flour: His optional weapon to kill a nest. It is his foundation of having a large explosion.
Non-Goblin Enemies Slain
- Ogre - one of the Demon Lord's Generals. He was killed by the Gate Scroll connected to the underneath of the sea. Goblin Slayer admits he had never seen and encountered his kind but he has a tiny knowledge that his type; a monster with huge and tall height and more powerful than goblins. It is hinted in the Light Novel that his death made the Demons wary in Goblin Slayer's presence but ignore him as an assumption of his being obsessed to goblins.
- Dark Elf - a servant of the Demon Lord. When he mockingly and proudly confessed to Goblin Slayer that he was indeed the one responsible for unleashing goblins to make Sword Maiden remember her tragic past, altogether Goblin Slayer and his party members helped each other defeat him; his eyes were temporarily blinded by Priestess' Holy Light, his throat had been pierced by High Elf Archer's arrow and his left arm had been cut, leaving Goblin Slayer to finish off Dark Elf.
- Agent of Chaos - referred as "Giant Eyeball" by Goblin Slayer. Killed with help from his party.
- Rhea Scout - he was killed when he tried to assassinate and take revenge against Guild Girl. 
- Dark Wizard - an individual living in the tower. He is the master of Gargoyles who tried to kidnap a priestess from the first expedition. Goblin Slayer, Spearman and Warrior partied as they got requested by the government to investigate the place and subdue the enemy, if possible. 
- Unnamed monster (Land-Type)- it is a huge monster with long neck. It is covered by platinum scale and purple stones around its body. It is killed together with his teammates. 
- Unnamed monster (Water-Type) - it is a "huge fish" living in the ocean according to Goblin Slayer. He and his party defeated the monster. 
- He is known as Orcbolg among the elves and Beardcutter among the dwarves.
- These names are that of a Goblin slaying sword which glowed blue when goblins were near, as said in the light novel.
- Goblin Slayer's English voice actor Brad Hawkins is well-known for providing motion capture for Doom.
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel - Light Novel, Volume 3 Chapter 3: The Harvest Festival Brings Dreams
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Gaiden: Year One Manga — Gaiden: Year One Manga Volume 1, Chapter 1 pg. 1-10
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Gaiden: Year One Manga — Gaiden: Year One Manga Volume 1, Chapter 1 pg. 34
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Manga — Manga Volume 5, Chapter 29, pg. 4-20
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 2, Interlude: Of the Two of Them, Then
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Manga — Manga Volume 5, Chapter 29, pg. 21-39
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 3, Chapter 2: Festival's Eve
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 3, Chapter 3: The Harvest Festival Brings Dreams
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 3, Chapter 4: It's Your Smile That Matters
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel Gaiden: Year One - Gaiden: Year One Light Novel Volume 2, Chapter 1, pg. 22 - 24
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 1, Chapter 9: The Strong Ones
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 3, Interlude: Of the Mastermind, Quite Full of Himself Behind the Sceness
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 2, Chapter 2: Goblin Slayer in the Water Town
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel — Light Novel Volume 3
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel - Light Novel Volume 4, Chapter 9: Of the Three of Them, Some Months Ago
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel - Light Novel Volume 7
- ↑ Goblin Slayer Light Novel - Light Novel Volume 8, Chapter 5